Wednesday, February 13, 2013

4120. 1863

1863
(as found unfinished)
'In the sputtering mass of that moment, Mama,
they took me down. I had shot in my leg and it
was making blood run. The pain it was steely,
Mother, as it ran down my calf. I remembered,
or tried to, Decauter's directions, yet only could
remember having just entered Virginia. This hard
life was becoming a dream; like, as I screamed
with my newly-found verve.
-
The man who'd shot me was aimless and without
face  -  there was a flank of riflemen along the ridge
as we ran, and they were shooting as we were running.
It seemed no cannon, or nothing big  -  just the swift
form-rustle-snap of rifle-shot and gauge. Oh it hurt,
and I went down.
-
As I did come to, Mother, in this wall of pain, I
saw I was still alive, had all my limbs and could
still sense my moment. A man was coming slowly
towards me  -  in another uniform hat and clothing,
though as dishevelled as me. A warbler something
warbled, and it seemed a mean horse whinnied.
-
Mama, though now I will probably die, I grabbed
my gun and shot him in the throat  -  he went down
before me, and I watched his gurgling blood ebb
and finish. And oh, so soon after, I found this stub
to pencil and finish this note to you. Mother Lynette
Farnes Fitzgerald, Canterfield Georgia and Roxthan's F'
-----

No comments: