Monday, February 11, 2013

4109. ANYBODY WISHING

ANYBODY WISHING
Anybody wishing to know can just ask : hell, send
a note, whatever. Minton's Playhouse, even that -
if you've got to look it up, go ahead. All that largess
comes spitting back - like backwash from a
trumpet's mouthpiece. I said 'trumpet', fool, not
'strumpet' - though if you've got to know I can
find you that too. Since I am (must you ask),
Kingpin of this entire neighborhood, let me tell
you the following things : watch your kneecaps,
always look behind you, don't bend down, don't
give out too much information and - most
importantly - if Bettie Jane McArty comes
your way - by all means leave her alone.
I've had to bury too many men to make
that memory pleasant at all. It just
cannot ever be. Go ahead,
just ask.

No comments: