Friday, February 1, 2013

4093. SAGAMORE

SAGAMORE
They are shooting maples down where I live;
shagging trees and cutting limbs, making the
oasis that here once lived now but a paradise
for ghouls. I am, understandably, wild and upset.
Shall I chain myself to a tree, or just stand here
with a gun in hand? I don't know and wouldn't care,
either way, for them and all their doings.
I am the worthy one, not them.
-
So long it's been like this, and I am very tired.
My royal venom is running on. We once killed
men for poaching the King's trees - or deer, for
that matter. Everyone agreed and no one said
a word - everything of might was kept within
the royal precinct, and there was no other way.
-
I liked it better then : I was a man with a royal
aplomb, I carried my armaments gaily. I shouldered
my shares, marksman that I was, and killed my
few as well, as needed, and finely. So much of that
world is now so gone away. I stand alone, at
this empty, bare corner, silently wishing
I was back there once more.

No comments: