Friday, November 16, 2012

3979. POWERS OF PRAYER

POWERS OF PRAYER
I buried my babies in wet mud, first
smothering them with the moistened
soil  -  like a fine burial, sacrificial, I
made amends to my God and atoned
for all things. He had asked this of
me, did He not? For once in my shitty
life, I obeyed. Somewhere in all this
grief and effort, there was a sacred
moment  -  of sacrifice, of obeisance,
duty and salvation. Yes, yes, they now
are gone, but I have saved my people.
-
Sadly, I ask  -  Is this how mankind
saves his world? Guns to butter, and
back again, propped on the dead and
bloodied backs of all Mankind. Oh Gaza,
and oh River Jordan, why all this bluster?
Everywhere I look, nothing is agog
but death and blood and dying.
-
Abraham to Isaac, and all down the
line. We sacrifice or friends and our
brothers, our sisters and lovers, and -
this time - there is no lamb to take
our attentions away. My stomach
growls, with its own intentions. I
am Moloch, seeking new foods.

No comments: