Monday, November 5, 2012

3954. CARTMAN BY THE SEA


CARTMAN BY THE SEA   
Take the life from my heart and arms, shield
no longer my soul and feelings. I am bent with
sickness and I walk the land, staggering. I am
watching the sea; it is spread before me, with a
rumble and roar, pitching forward to then recede.
What are these waves but the tenets of my own
pale life? A battered presence, a ram of indication,
everything occurring at once, as if I should really
take note. All these little men, waving and raking
their seaside leaves. I shall leave them here.
-
To tremble, I walk away thinking of cities instead
of this sea  -  I find firmer stuff in the concrete and
glass, than whatever meanings these tired, old lands
of the harbor conceal. Old wooden boats, a listing
surfside lighthouse, the cocktail lounge of a tired
yacht men's clubhouse  -  all those aged yet pretty
ladies, walking on their Sunday heels and out for
dinner on a prance. Some singer up front attracts
nothing as much as the flies and a cat.
-
No one listens anyway. I am sorry I ever came here -
just another foolish man, seeking solace and wine,
coming out to dine and squander some money
where others, in need, could have used it more.
Take the life from my heart, and cart me away.

No comments: