Friday, November 9, 2012

3967. LITTLE EVVIE

LITTLE EVVIE
I marched with Evvie to Chartres,
and she was a boy  -  dressed as one
anyway, to fool the cavalcade. We ran
through that province, no change in a
tide, and managed to stay fit. A Joan
of Arc would have done no better;
and no one ever found out.
-
Sunlight bore meaning : when along
the river's edge the sidelight pushed
the water, it seemed as if ringlets
of a gloried light were our only Truth. 
We carried our arms and bullets into the
woods. Evvie wore her manhood well.
-
Characters arrive  -  the desultory type,
the ones who drag and complain, those
whining of something new each moment.
We took them each out, singly,
when Evvie was a man.
-
She wanted more, she wanted more.
'I hated my Father, and that abbot too - 
he handled my breast as if he were making
a meatball.' Would that be hatred then, in
even a fair country? I wondered, but I
knew I'd never find out.

No comments: