Sunday, June 27, 2010

959. BURKE VALLEJO

BURKE VALLEJO
I am a thief of character;
I am a character.
The toothache gave me a headache,
the headache reinforced the toothache.
I am the one in the shadows,
the one leaning forward into thin air.
I live outside the four walls you think you
see me in. I am enamored of nothing but
the little things that may interest me.
Once I was a trapper in the distant
fields afar, now I track vast dreams with
the smallest effort. These are all my marks.
I am the one performing without the net,
there, see me off to the side in
that old carnival shot -
traveled for years with that crowd.
Not a thing to show for it, nothing.
Drink your tea, and be quiet. Listen.
A woman like you can make me walk the plank.
I’ve had images in my head for five days straight –
the toll they take is the toll they make.
Sometimes, I try to remember the ‘Chamber of Horrors’
in that carnival show. It had an entrance clothed
in black curtain. The little cars took you around.
One day, I found a small man walking through there.
On foot. He came to me in the dark, and said:
"How do I get out of here?"
I remember thinking for a moment, after he startled me,
and then chuckling : "There’s only one way," I said.
"The way you came in is the same way out."

No comments: