Monday, June 21, 2010

953. IF

IF
If I can be made to be what I am
I'll be happy alone on this porch.
The red-wing blackbird at the Jimson
Weed - one equation together forever.
A life such as this would a prime number
be. I'd not need dancing or dining nor doubt
and decay. All your idle chitchat, I'd so
let you say. Your postcard from the
Poconos is there, on the floor.
-
I don't want the matter, but neither
does it matter what I want. Somehow, this
first day of Summer has no meaning at all.
A loudspeaker on the wall proclaims :
'Joltin' Joe has left and gone away.'
I almost no longer wish to listen. If
I can be made to be what I 'be',
I'll be happy alone on this porch.

2 comments:

Margarethe said...

You seem to have emerged from the funk. This is a lovely poem and I wanted to tell you so.

gary j. introne said...

Margarethe - Thank you so much. You'll not know how much seeing that comment (by surprise) meant to me.
Gary