Saturday, June 26, 2010

958. MARY CANTWELL LIVES FOREVER

MARY CANTWELL
LIVES FOREVER
I caught Barstom at the Rudder.
I swear he said the same about them all :
'I created a circus, and I ran away to join
it.' I guess that about sums it all up about
as good as any. I can't yet find the palace,
and I've certainly lost Mr. Mobius now.
Yet, somehow, the light never goes out
within, and Mary Cantwell lives forever.
-
I am oh so sorry for oh so many deaths,
and others I couldn't care about at all.
It is like that everywhere : mass graves
in the Balkans, frozen stiffs in St. Petersburg,
dead babies at the Baptismal fonts. I hate
the Ukraine as I hate the Danube - a
swilling marsh, a trashy highland, meandering
everywhere yet drained and channeled,
sides and angles and bridges to nowhere else.
My heart will always have a hand in love,
and Mary Cantwell lives forever.

No comments: