Tuesday, October 28, 2008

66. EVERYWHERE, EVERYWHERE

EVERYWHERE, EVERYWHERE
(PARAGRAPH OF LIFE)
October's twenty-eighth day is ending.
My thoughts try to catch up to the day, and
the time, and the place. They cannot -
only because there is far too much of everything;
the movement, the spreading out of time and
circumstance, and the broad cloth of all the
history just passed. There is so much I want to do,
yet, realizing that, I cannot do it. That such is a
covert weakness, I cannot face. The hosts of
Heaven's time and place would not hold me back -
only if I had, once, the opportunity to go knocking,
to search, to find. The abacus has lost its beads.
The lyre is silent and without sound. I am hamstrung.
I should not be judged, therefore, by this loss and absence.
It is not for not trying that I am found wanting.
-
It is hard for me to talk.
The words do not flow as
they once did, and the meanings
of what I wish to say are less clear now
than ever before. The listeners too
are different. Have I lost my way?
-
I once had my own photo of a lake and its
darting layout - a finger of land sticking
straight out into the water. It stood by itself.
Cottages and boats, chimneys and some walls
along the water's edge - everything in its place
and all of wood. The grand houses and palaces
of the czars it may as well have been.
Now it is all over. Everywhere, everywhere.

No comments: