Friday, October 10, 2008

34. HERE'S TO THINKING.....

HERE'S TO THINKING.....
You had it made the last time I saw you,
rolling sideways over your bottle of beer,
skating down hills with an imaginary lash,
talking to the doctor in the language of another
day. I was taken, momentarily, by your dash and spray.
Here's to thinking.....that you were settled in the
last time I saw you - living like a skunk in a rich man's
closet, heaving minks and otters out the cellar door,
loading up on ciders and wine with an eye on the
other side. Leaving windows open to the night.
Never looking back, nor turning out the light.
Here's to thinking.....that it would never end. I saw
you on the wharf, hauling great ships in with your
bare hands, using catcalls to fell the rabble, dining
on eggs and butter in the leeway of the dirge.
I wanted to follow you, to stay. I really had that urge.
But, alas, even the heavy points fell in time.
Now I see you - wrinkled dumb and dying,
embittered bent and crying - and can't think of
anyplace I'd rather be than where you're not.
It all came down so simply as each thing fell
in place. The coastline wasn't yours, the
casement window had always been locked.
You'd really done nothing of note -
an entire life, I see now - had been
hocked.

No comments: