Saturday, October 11, 2008

39. IT WASN'T BUT FOR SEEMING

IT WASN'T BUT FOR SEEMING
It wasn't but for seeming that I was alone;
it was also for other things - like no one to
talk back to, or no one to ask for clues. It appeared
as if everything was empty and silent around me.
The tormented guy with the tophat, standing on
the train platform waiting - stretching his neck
like an idiot to see if the train was coming.
Down the track, up the track, what could it matter?
He missed the last one, and he'd miss this one too,
for sure - unless of course I pushed him in front
of it. Faint possibility, vague, meandering thought.
The rustle of some frank newspaper caught me short:
winsome notes on some stupid sports story, or a new
look in some Dictator's eye, piecemeal enticements
by political hacks, a fashion shoot shot in the nude.
It was all the same : no shame, no game.
I took a pencil from a box on the shelf where they
keep the timetables and ticket stubs. No one noticed.
With it I began writing on the wall - in text too small to see -
'I am not this person who was just now here;
I am not this man you see.' It did take quite a
long time, but I eventually covered the wall.

No comments: