Friday, October 3, 2008

20. WHAT I ATTAINED

WHAT I ATTAINED
I always wanted to become a misanthrope and
I've done so (I hate you, man) - this much is
certain. I suppose there's an achievement there.
Leaves are falling, sunlight dims, the bare sky -
looming - watches, and I walk beneath a crescent
moon (by the way, why they call it a 'quarter-moon'
is beyond me; if it were it would be a 1/4 of a circle
and really strange to see). But that's just more of
man's stupidity. The only owl I've ever heard recently
was saying 'I'll bet you've not seen the likes of me
before, I'll bet'. Owl. I'll. Must be a joke there
somewhere.
They took down the partitions over the underpass
today. It was all bare and barren. They spread new
fertilizer beneath the trees. It smelled like a good,
strong barnyard, and I liked the odor. As I looked
about, some kids were dancing on the grass. Another
group of Chinese in a clutch were photographing
everything they passed. Jabbering while they did it
in the pidgin yap-yap the Chinese use when they
talk amongst themselves. Heaven knows. Maybe
even that mandate's over. No one knows.
I prophecize the end of my life, well before the
end of time. Not much of a difference in that,
but (as a prophet) I feel it's something that
should be said. Like 'carry me back to ol' Virginny',
or maybe 'the yellow rose of Texas is the only rose
for me'.

No comments: