Wednesday, October 8, 2008

32. NOT TO BE TORTURED

NOT TO BE TORTURED: JUST SHOW HIM THE
IMPLEMENTS OF THE TORTURE INSTEAD
It was Tuesday in the hallway and we were nearing
nothing so much as more boredom. The cat had
scratched out its own heart and the multi-flora
roses had already died. Nothing seemed as if it
would change. A sparrow was pecking at the window.
Arriving in a rush, the jar of time-future proceeded
apace, and I thought (just then) I heard a whimper
from some far doorway. It was nothing but a feeler
for sense or sound, trying out its muscles in the open air.
I knew then that I didn't know now.
Everything made me want to walk away -
but some gimcrackery buzz-handled safecracking
cook had mentioned to me just previous that
he'd be 'back real soon'. I looked forward to
nothing. He was like a shadow with a hole where
light comes in. And I was very tired.
If this was to be torture, or my end, or his,
then we may as well have gotten started earlier.
As it was, I could have been drunk by now at
the John Street Bar. Across the street from Sidelio's,
by the Rockin' Rover Dinette. Over at the Mission of
St Manuverius the Pushover. Alongside Darla
at Petruvio's Steak House. But I was
RIGHT HERE instead.....
and it really seemed that way for real.

No comments: