Thursday, December 31, 2020

13,316. SO MANY PIGEONS

SO MANY PIGEONS
I've left now many things behind,
things I thought I'd once be remembered
for, but not, as it's turned out, forgotten
instead. My name is but etched on
gravestone memories of a cotton-moss.
Green, but not with envy, for sure.
-
The ground here gets covered, and I
dream of many things : doorways
and city entrances, in places
I've never been. Faces I once may
have seen, but never remembered,
yet here they turn up again. Like
a living highway headed down to 
the south, I am passing old geezers
in luxurious cars.
-
'Shhh, now; it's only a dream. They
are running down south for their
Winters. We call them Snowbirds.
You call them Pigeons, I guess :
the same scavengers who pick in
the alleys, alighting on poles and
cooing for food.'

No comments: