Thursday, December 24, 2020

13,299. THE MIND IS A RUNAWAY THING

            THE MIND IS A RUNAWAY THING
I sit tonight on  a ledge of snow, nearing
a Christmas Eve with no more to go.
In a very tired year, one in which 
everyone has been complaining about
something. I won't linger, though I'd 
like to stay another, yes.
-
There seem to be talk-a-thon voices 
everywhere now  -  used to be one would
get paid for that, or raise money for some
horrid fund : Twisted kids on a telethon;
raising money for injured soldiers; or
funds for war-widows' compensation.
Now...it's done for nothing at all.
-
There's little logic in chalkboard
computing  -  marks like steeples on a
mathematician's slate; perpendiculars
and symbols, arrows and brackets too.
It all leads to the same dead-ends, I
suppose  -  needs for salvation, they
say, some infant's odd birth, barn
animals, magi and magic stars.
Again, what's it all worth?
-
If I were carry this ball of wax to the 
depths of space, the sun itself would 
surely melt all my conclusion; leaving
me, like Icarus, an absence without
a trace, except some stain upon
the ground beneath me?

No comments: