Thursday, December 24, 2020

13,297. SALAMANDER WALK

SALAMANDER 
When I was young, my caped friend
named Al came to visit, once or twice. 
Perplexing times in full store, for me.
We tried maintaining quiet, because of
the old lady downstairs, but he set off
a firecracker loud enough from Hell.
Maybe it was July 4th; I can't remember.
-
Second floor antics from a large,
wooden porch; but it couldn't have
been July, because I remember his
caped coat. I guess he's grown into
something quite else, by now.
-
The cape always made me nervous.
He talked fast, yes, but Algernon
Swineburne he was not. Funny how
things live on : a shoddy heave of salad
dressing, maybe, on a bunch of wilted
leaves like us.
-
Now, is that 'like' or 'as?' Or maybe
even it should read, 'a shoddy bunch
of leaves as were were then?'

No comments: