Sunday, December 6, 2020

13,260. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,098

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,098
(an hour, not just a moment)
There are nights when I still
get the most detailed dreams
of New York City streets which
no longer exist  -  the old and
the bedraggled corners with the
worn granite facings and broken
down signs, the short-cuts and
alleys between places, the truck
ramps and the overheads, lanes
and turns, out-of-the-way corner
cuts and rumpled, ancient storefronts.
I knew all that by heart, and it
somehow  -  though long gone 
now  - still exists through a
corridor of dream, still peopled
with forms and faces of living
people. 'The names have been
changed to protect the innocent,'
as they used to put it. 
-
I awake in two worlds. Ten minutes
of a pure befuddlement, lost between
the glare of a mirror of no time, and
the 'reality' of right now. I think to
myself, 'Should I put my today-feet
forward and step back into it, or  -
and a part of me wishes for this  -  
should I just stay here so as to find
that great stride backward, and
remain lost in my soup of 'then?''
Somehow, I always get up and 
re-enter this plane of being : the
smell of coffee, the need to pee.
I guess other realms have other
needs and other prompts yet
unknown to me.
-
If I could suddenly appear at the
breakfront of time, for my re-entry,
I'd fit right into the niche made
custom for me  -  as if I was born
and bred to wear that more-miserable
suit of cloth comprising 250 years
ago and its evidences : horse lanes,
smithy shops, the bangings and fires
of hammer-to-metal, wrapped with
aromas and words, crowd scenes
and refuse heaps, piles of ash and
the run-off of tanneries and blight.
One simple footfall before the
other would bring me through the
progress lanes of heat and fire,
horse-stalls and blankets, amidst
the grease and fittings of wagon
wheels, primitive bearings and
springs, dusty travel and freight,
and then, yes, the strange, frightful,
coming of rails and railyards.
-
I can only wonder what my words
would sound like. I certainly would
be unable to retain today's phraseology
or curt manners of reference and name.
Descriptions and explanations would
need to be slower, darker, plodding
and dense. Any sense of immediacy
or 'communication' would have to 
wait, and all things would take their
own time. Slowly, and again, that
next layer of 'change' would be
underway around me  -  rail sheds,
storage yards, piles of trains and
engines, fires for steam and burning.
Wreckages. Overflow. Down
to the harbor, and up from the
harbor  -  that sense would have
it precedence. What didn't run down
would drain away  -  right back to
those very riverfronts I mention.
The cares and concerns would be
different. A population of the
un-sensed, the vivid and real, those
for whom 'Reality' was an hour,
not just a moment.
-
Not just the outside either  -  the
interiors are spot-on perfect, and
seem somehow updated too with
today's sorts of things inside  -  
plastic, light switches, faucets,
but the interior, running, scenes
get eerie  -  with the dead involved
in them, old issues and scenes, and
the raggedy involvements of  old
ideas and once-stereotypical
attitudes and occurrences. On
the whole, broadly, the scenes 
are evocative of entanglements
and mash-up more than anything
else. So strange. So alien.
Yet, so warming too.

No comments: