Sunday, January 16, 2011

2089. NEXT DOOR TO HELL

NEXT DOOR TO HELL
(23rd street, 1972)
Next door to Hell at the Chelsea Hotel,
I was standing with my foot at the curb.
Just behind me, McMaster and Jermine, the
two jerks with the Beatleboard, kept yelling
out songs. The Quixote, alongside them, had
drunks going in and out. It seemed always like
this - a whiteout of shame and a blackout of sense.
-
I never entered without my Mabou Mines elixir:
gasoline in a jug and two donuts to boot. People
looked around, but without even of modicum of
good sense, no one was ever able to connect the
dots. Ogden Nash and his turltedove, James
McNeil and his sister Pearl. My hands were
dotted with fever. Blisters on the soles of
my feet. Outside the paint store, by the fish-bait
and tackle, a dark green police car, it seemed,
was always posted with 1972 eyes. The two guys
inside seemed always, just always, staring out.

No comments: