Friday, May 7, 2010

877. AS IF EVERYONE POPEYE

AS IF EVERYONE POPEYE
You can't make the transformation from the
railroad tracks to the superhighway by reading
magazines on the ferry, Captain. We all know that.
And I think, because of it, the entire world wilts.
-
The Sirens out on the Aegean - those august
things we read about but can never place -
their voices linger on the watery wind. I want not
to listen but do so anyway. I live. Time passes.
It's all a story I'm convinced, but not convinced of.
-
High overhead, while I sit at a roadside table, a
commercial jets tears the sky. Seemingly rugged, it
- right now - looks as delicate as a needle coursing
thread. I can almost hear each fiber pierced: a
sort of silent but lilting scream, like Nature itself
dying in a valley, or the Yellow River, undam'd,
breaking fierce once more over rock and land.

No comments: