Friday, May 7, 2010

876. THE FRIENDS OF LIBERTY

THE FRIENDS OF LIBERTY
Amidst all sinister apparitions came forth this
day - preening like some peacock with plumage
bold and garish - to strut an obtrusive phase
across my silent, green lawn.
-
My reaction - instead of a selfsame nod or
one more yawn - was to run and hide to a
martial retreat, a frenzied trot, smoke flying
and horses wide-eyed; a Lafayette and a
Washington combined upon a revolutionary
field. All of this, and more, athwart some
frozen, lazy river, iced in by Winter's wrath.
Trentonians, even, perhaps but for a week
or two, my spirits acted as men bivouacked
now alongside a raging stream.
-
It cannot be : this Freedom was always too
torpid, like a Whitman indeed - splurging
homo sensitive greenbacks over baleful
young men, aiding the wounded and then.
"Urge and urge and urge; always the
procreant urge of the world...I effuse my
flesh in eddies and drift it in lazy jags."
-
What real difference, oh Sons of Liberty,
Daughters of the Revolution, what difference
does any of it make? What difference, in fact,
has it made? It's all in the sexual loins, these
meanings we seek for. I tell you, it's in the
loins indeed, for only there is Freedom's need.
-
So I wandered the glade, seeking the innocence
before it would fade. Though all had, by now,
been long gone. I carried through, I stumbled on.
-
'I hear the trained soprano. She convulses
me, like the climax of my love grip.'

*Walt Whitman

No comments: