Wednesday, March 30, 2022

14,224. INVENTING ENEMIES

INVENTING ENEMIES
Having fallen asleep in front
of the fire, I woke up startled
and dark. The heat was in waves
around me, like comfort out on a
lark. So, sitting back, I wondered
'Where in the world have I been?'
-
Vouchsafing no answer, for sure,
I then realized I'd have to invent
one. Where in the world had I
been? Then if hit me: Right
there in a torrent of fire!
-
Inventing enemies; any I'd desire.
Kings and jousters, errant knights
or horse theives over kingly lands.
I'd recalled severed head on spikes
and fires inside entry halls.
-
Castles and moats and maidens
and troubadours all. Dungeons
holding the mystic men whose
fortune-telling had gone awry.
What! Were those chains around
me legs? Was I in fact despised
and herewith bound in shackles?
-
Men were grabbing me, poking
me with staves. I was being led to 
a fire, while some beautiful maid
was pointing at me: 'It is him, yes,
it is him  -  take him away to the
graves, and once there, drop him
in!' I had met my invented enemies,
and they were more real to me 
then then the fires of Hell! 
-
But where could I go?
And who could I tell?


No comments: