Monday, March 14, 2022

14,196. TO RECALIBRATE THIS STRETCH OF EARTH

TO RECALIBRATE THIS 
STRETCH OF EARTH 
Never being called by what was
was never true, the eyes of the 
insatiable voyager keep scanning
the horizon. Sextant and compass,
all as one; rolling seas rolling on.
-
Not sure of myself either, I stand
on board the roiling deck and scan
ahead for land. Not twigs and branches
mind you, I mean land. The crazy
deckmate stares high to the sky; ten
thousand stars slide by.
-
He says he learned to speak at age 3
and can remember being born. He
has from age 5 every memory. I just
let him talk  -  too many long nights
at sea?
-
We play dominoes, but I curse his
wily ways. Games are not sport for
me. The dark night engulfs, and I
re-encounter land. The only place
I'd ever wish to be.

No comments: