Friday, February 11, 2022

14,137. THIS IS REACH

THIS IS REACH
This is reach, and I feel
not alive anymore: Reach
is as far as I can go, the
depths of my feelings, the
intensity of my likes and
dislikes too.
-
Once, at the Brooklyn Navy
Yard, I had visited the studios
of various artists who'd invited
me in. It was a Mother's Day
weekend, as I recall, and I do
recall only because I witnessed
one of the people there stop
what he was doing and 'text'
his mother his Mother's Day
greeting. I'd never seen that
sort of thing before.
-
We sat around, for what seemed
an endless amount of time, on
a quite warm day, in a heavily
glassed-in atrium cafe. The
views of Manhattan were nice,
though I'd seen better angles
before. Then later, while we
walked around  -  the old slips 
and piers had really attracted
us; more my style than was 
the art-studio stuff  -  a harbor 
police guy on detail to the
Navy Yard/Wallabout Bay
swooped down and threatened
us with arrest if we did not leave
those pier areas immediately.
 -
I said, 'What the fuck? What's
up with this? I get invited in,
to visit, and I get treated like
this?' My anger bordered right
there on crossness. The guy
put his hand to his nightstick,
and he also had a holstered gun.
So I hastened to back off, and
apologized instead. 
-
Figuring it wasn't worth dying as
an innocent over, I rolled, and
we left. But it's always stayed
in my craw now some 15 years
later, how when you give power
to some unworthy shithead, it
goes right to their ego, and pumps
up their image of what 'self'
should be.

No comments: