Wednesday, February 2, 2022

14,119. UKELELE FOREPLAY

UKELELE FOREPLAY
Who knows what, and my
friend Danny is fifty today.
He thinks he's an old-time
roller, but really he can
hardly play. I'd wish lots
more for him  -  after this
day! We met once, only
that, at Jonathan Swift's
Hibernian Lodge. He'd
come all the way over 
here from Britain, for a 
Beatles' Fan Club Convention, 
the British faction of which 
he was President. I was
with another friend too, 
and we all got so drunk 
we forgot to stand.
-
Old guys were hanging
around the bar, reading The
Irish Times and other Irish
newspapers, raging about
soccer, or screaming about
life. Boy, it was tough. I
was almost afraid to talk,
not knowing what things set
them off  -  Manchester this
or hat. Pass the hat. Another
dead Irish cop with a family
in need.
-
I forget the year this was, but
maybe about 2000. That would
make Danny about 21, which
doesn't sound right. But, whatever.
For me it no longer matters; all
things. after a while, have a way
fading into some general (and
genial) background of other
events you just no longer can
tap into. Memory's a fog, and
screw that too.

No comments: