Wednesday, February 10, 2021

13,412. AT THE ENCLAVE

AT THE ENCLAVE
'Turn please the corner swiftly.'
The man spoke oddly, and his
stance was no better : loose
clothing, and some sort of an
unconnected joist to his florid
stance. It made me uncomfortable.
-
And then I found others much
like him; gathered around a table,
with pale lighting from overhead.
The walls were light green, the
sort of green I hadn't seen since
'Kojak' aired a lousy police 
station weekly, in 1975.
-
Odd placement, these thoughts.
They were poring over district maps
and claiming here to be adjudicators
of voting fraud. Reviewing records.
Checking signatures. Inspecting 
small checked boxes. 'Please turn
that corner swiftly too,' I wanted
to say. Nothing seemed right.
-
Certain fires in the belly never die.
These people, I realized, were set
for a sort of paper-combat I thought
had long ago disappeared. 'Hell-bent
for leather,' as it once went.
-
I wondered. We can make toothpaste
and we can package cookies, by the
hundreds of thousands, by machine.
Yet we cannot  -  without obfuscation  -
conduct here a settled election of the
sort without disclaimers and without
the foul maiden of fraud? Turn please
this corner swiftly.

No comments: