Monday, February 8, 2021

13,410. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,139

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,139
(the freak tent beckons where the muscle-guy stands)
All I can ever remember about 
rolling down the turnpike to 
the seminary  -  which was 
in a place called Blackwood, 
NJ  -  was that it was 80 miles 
off, in a straight sort of NJ 
Turnpike line south, crossing 
the state slowly, on a diagonal. 
80 miles is nothing at all for 
me now, but back then it 
seemed the other end of 
the world and I always 
had mixed emotions 
about it. Farmland, flat, 
silos and dairies and 
fields and meadows. 
It's all so different now as
to be, truly, unrecognizable. 
The location once called 
'Blackwood' is lost completely  
-  though something is still 
called that yet what it is 
now is a few very busy 
corners where some highways 
meet and a ragtag collection 
of the usual global food crap 
all come together  -  from 
Wendy's and MacDonald's 
to Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, 
Burger King and the rest. 
A real, solid mess. 
Unrecognizable and 
thank goodness for that. 
It's a place for my ghosts 
and memories, and outside
of that they  can keep their 
measly  fries and burgers. 
The fools. What once was 
the seminary (an old buffalo 
farm!) is now plowed over,  
paved into parking lots 
and gymnasiums and 
classrooms, and called 
Camden County College. 
Without a past, and without
anyone have a consciousness
of the previous two centuries 
there. More of a waste than 
a belt on a fat man.
-
It's a hard-tell story, 
remembering all this. 
A goodly percentage 
of everyone I may have 
ever known there are 
dead, and those who 
aren't are gone to me 
in any case. It's funny 
how lives end up  -  all 
those earnest and deliberate 
young men, once determined 
and on fire, now flaccid and 
feeble, aged out like Edam 
cheese, with only remnants 
of what that drive and energy
brought them.  Over in 
Metuchen, when I lived 
there, the local Diocesan 
Monsignor was Michael 
Alliegro, an old seminary 
chum from Fords. He died 
some long time back, from 
leukemia. He and I would 
sit and talk a little (I did the 
Diocesan printing account, 
through him), and his rueful 
reactions to what he'd gotten 
himself into, 45 years on 
or whatever it was, even 
as a Monsignor, were 
nothing but anxious regrets 
to him. 'Had I known then 
what I'd be doing now'.....
he'd never have gotten 
involved.  I never pressed 
or pried on any of that, 
figuring he meant the 
business end of his 'work' 
was tedious and so far 
from religion and its 
profession as to be an 
insidious spiritual drain 
rather than a mission. 
Too bad. Those were tough
conversations, mainly because
he was still very intent on his 
work, and pious about it all,
and I always had to clip my
tongue to keep from blurting
out stuff like, 'Jesus, Michael,
you still pushing all this crap?
This crap's a trap...' But he
wasn't the kind of person I
could talk to like that. It 
never got man-to-man in 
those ways, and it all 
remained coded and I 
had to talk kind.
-
I thought about that a lot, 
all during that time, and 
wondered what life must 
be like for him. He was 
at Saint Bartholomew's, 
in East Brunswick, as 
Pastor, too  -  for a few 
years  -  and I could 
just picture him trying 
hard to deal with the 
spiritual side of a work 
that was probably more 
draining from the 
administrative side 
than anything else. And
anyway, does not everyone,
at some point say something
like that 'If I only knew then
line...'? Using him  -  and  
then myself  -  as an example, 
I figure most people never
really do end up where they
thought they would; even 
the best-arc'd  rockets miss 
their targets, you know. 
My life, having remained 
exclusive enough and 
anarchic enough in its 
intents, was never meant 
for any targeted end-results, 
and I knew it, so it little 
mattered to me; but to 
someone else, like 
Michael, who was in 
all other respects systematic, 
precise, almost anal, about 
purposes, uses, and intentions, 
this going so far awry must 
have been galling. All those 
years later, and he was the 
last and only guy I kept in 
any touch with. It was 
pretty strange and unlikely. 
We were so different; as if 
Fidel Castro courted Anne 
Frank, perhaps. Life's a 
wild and crazy fairgrounds, 
sometimes  -  and the 
freak-tent beckons where 
the muscle guy stands.
-
I knew a few more from 
those days, but they all 
got dropped. Except maybe 
for one friend yet, who's 
remained in London, as 
an actor and a voiceover 
guy, for over 25 years. 
Another friend, in the 
middle of Pennsylvania, 
the capitol city, in face,
after we'd rekindled a 
sort of friendship after 
40 years, turned out to 
be a complete disaster 
and I had to drop him; 
just couldn't take it any 
more, and I myself was 
surprised as ever to realize 
that he was still in the 
religion game and what 
he'd ended up as, it being 
so completely afar from 
what he seemed. I still 
regret that one, but had 
to move on. What baffles 
me  -  in this case  -  as 
in Michael Alliegro's case, 
is how rancid it can be when 
religion gets mixed up in 
prattling instead some horrid, 
off-the-beaten-path line of 
falsehood disguised as lust 
or money or duty anyway. 
A quote I've always remembered, 
'I must not trust people whose 
lives are centered in gain. They 
are different from me, totally 
different in intention.' I just 
end up intensely sad  - almost 
suicidedly so sometimes  -  
when I view this pathetic 
life from the tree-limb from 
which I look down upon it. 
That limb should break 
and I should fall. 

No comments: