Monday, October 31, 2016

8809. 'IF IT'S DOWN THERE ALREADY IT CANNOT FALL NO MORE'

'IF IT'S DOWN THERE ALREADY IT CANNOT FALL NO MORE'
Yes, yes, I've got plenty of ideas. Mr. Misfit 
lives right here. Closing my eyes only brings
me a memory. More of that and I'll be gone.
I can never tell myself exactly what I want:
a glandular table to place things upon, or
a nice soft floor where things can land
as they fall. Outside the Milano Deli,
those girls insist on eating in threes.
-
One wears the scarf of a foreign land;
something about Gay Paree. The other
has, in one of her hands, a new telescope,
in a box. New York people often use
them, from upper floors  -  looking out,
or down, or  -  so I've read  -  just across
the way at what their neighbor does. All
so true, but patently eerie.
-
There is a third girl, but I won't tell. She's
been forced to make this trio, I know.
Doesn't look it, can't be right, won't fit 
in. An eyelash of discontent. A shadow
of alienation. The doubting hands
of a female Thomas.

No comments: