Wednesday, August 28, 2013

4588. WHEN THINGS WERE NEW

WHEN THINGS WERE NEW
(like Abraham and Isaac Blue)
My friend, at the oasis, smiled back at the scene,
saying, 'When things were new everything was as
one. Can you understand the matter?' I'd been up
for four days already, thinking myself blue.
'Nothing to make a stink over,' I replied.
-
Ten dollars for a new army. Five bucks for a new
front gloat. Two old bucks for a new Mother
Theresa. It's already so over it's over. And
then no one cares at all. No one:
-
Not the troopmaster, not the constable, not
the bossman or the drifter. Not the streetgirl
walking her humble abode, not the things
you'd think about no more.
-
I went with my father, to the lake.
He said his name was Mr. Stephens.
I was so scared I could hardly breath.
he pulled out a knife and nodded.
I took a deep breath, and laid
myself down to die.
-
Inscrutable as always, that Mr. Stephens.

No comments: