Wednesday, August 14, 2013

4572. LONG DISTANCE OPERATOR

LONG DISTANCE OPERATOR
(experimental viceroy)
Once before on the open seas : standing on
11th Street, was me. It was a long time ago
and I remember every split-second detail as
if  -  no matter else  -  it was yesterday just.
Steel Drum Conga Man. They were filming
Ragtime on my old street, and I arrived to see:
all those fabulous period shots, James Cagney,
and me. Some girl was in there too, some
 'what's her name' half famous but no one I
knew. The fake detective held a piercing gun,
a very rhinocerous one and I said 'whatever
will you be doing with that, shooting Reds?'
He wore a comical hat, and simply muttered
back, 'And shoot em dead.' After a few weeks,
they really had made the movie. You can see
it for yourself if you really ever want to. Go
see. That's 11th Street. That's my place  -  in
the movie all made up and redone as the
'Novy Mir Working Man's Cafe.' And I'm
not fooling - wasn't then, and not today.

No comments: