Thursday, August 1, 2013

4552. MADE TODAY

MADE TODAY
Lending the air the grace that it's due, I
walk the long streets to this alley : old lights
are playing down on shiny pavement, wet forms
struggling through dawn. The new morning
air beckons, calling, as if to say - 
hasten now and take me in.

All of a sudden it is an old day in a new form :
a 1955 in a Beagle Alley, or some other gray time
held short in memory's palm. Best minds, destroyed
by madness,  starving hysterical naked, dragging
through negro streets at dawn. My mind, set on a
swing like a master-weaver's string, draws its own
conclusion, pulling the sadder needle of time.
-
If I must confess to something, today it will be this:
I have squandered, in my way, my own occlusion of
matter  -  all that was given to me I have wasted.
Everything but the burning, the intensity of the longing
and the drive  -  'the ancient heavenly connection to
the starry dynamo in the machinery of night.'
-
Here, here, now, today. Does anyone know what I mean?
Can someone pull my shoestring tighter, and let it be then
around my neck? I choke on my own reality crying,
lending the air the grace that it's due.

No comments: