Monday, November 14, 2011

3322. DO YOU WISH? (the Gardener's Lament)

DO YOU WISH?
(the Gardener's Lament)
Do you wish to force the clover past the brick?
Place the newly painted planter by the portmanteau
or portecochere  -  whatever those sounds like
fussy words declare? Do you wish your hat, even
your gown, your very clothes, now to be withheld
within my gardener's hands (for I would strip you
like a stem)? And, oh yes, I can grow things, I can
press you 'til your heart upends. I can love you
easy or love you hard; your choice to sing, my 
oh-so-lovely thing. Let us mark these notes,
instead, to muse on  -  how the singular light
of daytime marks your lonesome face; how the
small bird, singing, watches wary, and - lastly - 
how this regal breeze the fir tree brushes. Now,
do you wish to force the clover past the brick?

No comments: