Monday, November 21, 2011

3329. I HAVE A BRIGHT BLUE DRAGON, RIDING HERE IN MY LIBELOUS EYES

I HAVE A BRIGHT BLUE 
DRAGON, RIDING HERE
 IN MY LIBELOUS EYES
From Newark they took the medallion.
The ruinous locals would steal everything
here, where Dutch Schultz and Lewie Lesko's
final soliloquies were written on blood on
the chophouse walls. Miranda died, and the
ghost tavern still has the drunks on the side;
they wait every morning for nothing, at a
tavern that is no more. The lastly God-damned
hookers stand outside and hawk with pride.
The tiny Italian, I heard him say - 'I'm ok now.
I've had my fix for the day.' Plucking olives
from the rosebush bed, reading secrets at
the gorge  -  Newark to Clifton to Paterson
and back. Such makes a day, and that is that.
(And oh, this all works beautifully. I have a
bright blue dragon riding here in my libelous eyes).

2 comments:

nighthawk said...

Oh the brick city and all of its historical squalor. I think I might understand that poem

gary j. introne said...

Thanks, Night. Glad as always to see you're looking in. GI