Tuesday, November 22, 2011

3331. WHILE THE GILDED PROFESSORS RULE

WHILE THE GILDED 
PROFESSORS RULE
Actually, I'd prefer the million broad provisions of
another grounded life to the wan material I'm now
presented  -  I read the Contingent Gospels, I read
the Fall of Rome, I've read Tristram Shandy, Moll
Flanders, Harvest Home. I'd much prefer instead,
these days, to come around the winding road, to espy
old Beacon Mountain, or think of Wind Gap; passages
through Nature in the gloam. These are, to me, newer
things  -  small places I've been, things I've seen. The
wind upon the buttercup, the hummingbird stuck flapping
in the air; all honey, all nectar, all blood and all good.
-
(Why do you go on so, parrying your words with this
soulful lament)? I do not have to answer! Gilded professors
and General Pomp, each have made me (just as well)
somehow sick with a certain, pointed hatred. Your
soldiers, like your ideas, have died already. Your
horrid, arms-bearing ideologues merely make me laugh.
I hope you die, in fact, each and every soldier you produce,
each motor-tronic moron you enact. Live by the sword,
die by the sword  -  yet for all of you, I hope it happens
twice; I hope you die anew, and you never come
home to enter my land again.
-
I've made the adjustments, corrected my ways  -
now all I need do is live out my days.

No comments: