Wednesday, November 23, 2011

3333. I HUNG MY HAT

I HUNG MY HAT
(Part One)
Penny-whistle anteater ceramic form:
'Call it what you want', the strange sculptor
said. Hi-hat with a tribe, a nail-gun throbbing
loudly - 'Why do you operate this way?', said
I, 'almost annoying, don't you know? So much
force and noise.' He was throwing things down 
now, from a scaffold. Everything stayed still.
-
'Watch, watch, the new light on the hedges out
there' - we were looking at morning coming over
the hill  -  'then try duplicating that in your mind;
perfectly defined light, living its own place, shading
green hedges doubtlessly.' I looked and saw  -  a
nice light, with well-defined angles dripping down
over the white-metal lamp-post and hitting the hedge.
He was right; it was beautifully bright.
-
He'd written me once before  -  'No barfy teen-age'd
snot writing snarky lyrics to his mother. Why then did
Rimbaud stop writing? He damn-well better have,
that useless piece of crap, teen-age angst and all
of that.' I'd guessed he didn't like Rimbaud, though
I never asked and he never told. A few lines later,
he wrote 'youth is wasted on the callow, fucking
young.' I wrote him back, 'So, you only seek
maturity? And now you work in wood and stone?'
'Yes', he'd replied, 'it changes less.'
-
 Now I was drinking coffee at his table, while he was
downing scotch and probably drunk as well. He slammed
his glass down hard  -  'To tell, to tell, I'm tired of all this
shit now. I just want to get along. I'm too fucking old and
nasty to care. Hell, if I could make thunder now instead, 
I would.' I had to stay strong, trying to tell this backwards
nicely  -  a tale as rugged as rock but spacey as stars. I can't
really define the moments, but in these ways this is pretty
much how they occurred. He was wearing a hat he called
'Pomona Ray'. He was throwing things down, where they stayed.

No comments: