Tuesday, October 26, 2010

1153. TITLE

TITLE
Let us call this something nice : the juggler, who
loses a hand in an accident, the singer, whose
vocal chords fade, the soldier coming home
with one leg. Or - as I've heard before -
the ballerina who can dance to nothing at all.
Everything jumbles together in that shop on
the corner. In a window, the fortune-teller's
globe and a wand. A plastic pyramid pretends
at ancient Egypt. The lone red light beckons.
I wouldn't know anything if I knew nothing at all.
-
In the rich man's atrium, I noticed, he
displayed his collection of medieval armor.
What appeared to be knights in full regalia,
chain-mail and weapons strange. Studded
balls and quaint devices with which to kill.
Things I've forgotten the names of already.
I wanted to laugh, but just scoffed instead.
Yes! This is how we built our world, and
who else but this rich fellow should know.

No comments: