Sunday, October 10, 2010

1135. STILL LIFE IN BLUE AND WHITE

STILL LIFE IN
BLUE AND WHITE
For at least the time being I am living without
reference, without you, and without direction.
Now, to my left, are the heights of Morningside -
as they are called - and, farther off, the jumble of
the Jumel Mansion. So many things are different,
while so much is yet the same. I see little women
with petticoats and bonnets scurrying around.
They hold trays in their tiny, small hands.
Tea and coasters, things to eat. Odd it all
is to see this now, years and years on.
-
If people say I am a seer, it is because I see, but,
yea, only backwards - through a mist of time,
through blue China dyes and porcelain tiles
and Delft. All those things of those very odd
words and very old days. In essence, whatever
I am and see, I want to be left alone. This is
all ruined by crowds, dissembled by noise.
-
I am jarred anew by the sound of a truck or a bus,
one or the other, breaking through space. Two modern
men, loud and annoying, are bolting past me walking
fast and - seemingly - now shouting towards each
other as if they actually have something to
say. What a wasted day. This is leftover time,
poorly spent, a civilization of laggards and dopes.
Others are eating from paper wraps, spitting as
they talk and chew. Gentility falls to the ground
around them, their still life in white and blue.

No comments: