Tuesday, October 12, 2010

1140. HIGHWAYS & BYWAYS OF A NEVER-ENDING GRACE

HIGHWAYS & BYWAYS OF
A NEVER-ENDING GRACE
(nyc, 1969)
I walked the jester every night.
I never felt about 5th Avenue this
way before. Not at all. 'Shining light,
good night, Applewhite' was really all
I could remember of living back then.
If I'd ever attained anything, it was
no attainment at all. And then there
was you. You were just a heart by the
riverside - probably why I loved you best.
Kept as chatter, released as lust, held like
so much else. That small house on the riverbank
bluff - late night yellow illumination by lights
beyond. A side-apple romance, and you sure
knew how to bake. I've got my own story and
I don't need yours. Simplicity kills, and baby I
ain't got the breath to go it alone. How is it that
when we touched we touched on two sides? My
belly to your belly, it always seemed, out on
that highway of a never-ending grace.

No comments: