Wednesday, July 14, 2010

988. GERALD R. WOLFF

GERALD R. WOLFF
'That's a fair pen you're holding in your hand,
Gerald - one already long-bitten with lice
and mites and the shaded moss of long ago -
you make me shudder, just thinking of now.'
-
No constable holding keys and a warrant
can apprehend this fever. I am hot with
love and lust for words : as the real cabinet
of Dr. Caligari would show - 'I opened
that cabinet and out came the future like flame.'
-
In this broad and fussy room, the shelves
are lined with books as - along the wide
wooden table - the lawyers all sit; their
briefcases and hats too, as if it were 1956
instead of now. I am flummoxed by their
talk, and in walks Gerald R. Wolff again.
-
'We have here a 7.2 million dollar disbursement
all ready to be dispensed. If you would simply
signify here, it will be given over to you on the 30th
day past this date, at 10:30am. It may be transferred
electronically, or, of course, (yes, we know your ways),
you are welcome to arrange for yourself to pick up the
check in Philadelphia, at Ashford, Mays & Scheinbaum.'
-
'Mr. Wolff, I 'signify'? You mean 'sign'? If that's
all it is, I'll do so, yes - and, yes again, I'll
see you in Philadelphia 30 days from now.'
-
If I were to buy some acres of the deepest forest,
I'd still get out alive. There would be neither toil
nor shame for me to cover with this feat. We
wear the arms, after all, to which we were given.
There is not really, anywhere, a helpless man.

No comments: