Wednesday, July 28, 2010

1014. THE YELLOW HOUSE

THE YELLOW HOUSE
Dunning the hive while shouldering
my hi-hats, I cut the icing in your eyes
with the knife my heart was holding.
The time-told story was again unfolding:
how the wily man, heartbroken, runs to
re-exchange the past with the now; idle
threats of no value at all. 'If I had it to
do once over again...' and all the rest
that goes with the running.
-
I stayed back. The two dark animals
on the south-facing lawn seemed chasing
each other in a trance-like folly. One
chattered - a noise I'd not heard before
or since - and the other, silently dodging,
kept going around in circles. I wondered
to myself which one I'd be if, Heaven
allowing, I'd had the choice.
-
Doorscape and sunlight - reflected
back on the shaded glass. The small
distance, shown in the nearby mirror,
now seemed - really - like nothing at all.

No comments: