Friday, July 30, 2010

1015. TWENTY-TWO MILES HOME

TWENTY-TWO
MILES HOME
I went there, I wasn't there.
Nothing like a rim shot to make
things fair - watch me as I swizzle.
You sat next to me as I sat near to
you; starlight, starbright, first star
I see tonight. There's only three more
('and that ain't right'). Multiply the
multiplier. Fetch the pail, the barn's afire.
And I wouldn't have it any other way.
-
I walk the city street in some very early
light - everything that's open should be
closed. Those that are open, shouldn't
they doze? Over on the corner, high atop
the sign that reads 'Schirmer's', a single
hawk gazes alertly - as if something,
anything, to move would be his.
A few places are lined up in
a row. Seems as if it's
been this way forever.
-
I was walking three days straight,
stopping wherever I liked, sleeping
on grass and in parks overnight.
It wasn't easy, but I made it right.
Twenty-two miles home tonight.

No comments: