Friday, July 2, 2010

968. I FOUND AN I

I FOUND AN I
It was only my Heaven at the
fourteenth rage. The schoolmistresses
were buying happy purses on the television
show, going home with empty pockets where
their minds should go. I was nothing indelicate
that I'd not been before : peeking in windows
while they stripped the mirrors raw - before me
and God and the world. 'What a strange pudenda!'
I was heard to comment. 'Yes. I got it on the show -
and it was worth every cent.'
-
I was a wastrel before I was an orphan.
I found an I at the bootblack stand.
That crazy man had said to me : 'Look
at that! My God, won't these fires ever cease?'
Tom Foolery to Penelope Smith.
We make our most lazy arrangements
before we ship.......away.
-
'The Bible say 'ever be vigilant.'
That's why I don't get but so drunk.
I gots ta' keep watch. Mr. Death,
and no he say nothin'. I say 'what
you want Mr. Death? You be wantin'
me?' He just stared at me - carrying
that sickle in his hand. He say, 'you
want bound for another year?' I say OK,
and, see, I'm yet here.
-
'And oh Hip Hiram, barrelin' nice through
the Atlas Mountains, I really did miss
too much of this life.'

No comments: