Wednesday, July 14, 2010

987. SONYATINA

SONYATINA
'I'm going to teach children how to read music,
what a great way to spend a morning!' She said
that across the counter, while gesturing to the
campus across the way, 'a music seminar, an
institute for Summer music study, with which
I somehow got involved.' I'd seen her before,
knew I knew her a hundred times. But so many
of these Princeton kids all look alike : or similar
in the way things with a group resemble the
group. I hope you know what I mean, Sonya.
-
Teaching rudimentary things, I thought to myself,
can be a debatable task. You're teaching, after all,
as much for the parents as for their kids. They 'want'
the idea that they're buying - my child the musical
one. And, anyway, how rudimentary is music really?
Ingrained, as they say a language is? A felicity for the
ear as words are for the tongue and eyes? I'd not know,
and now I'm too old too care. Little brats, darlings of
inattention, cookie crumbs and ineffective beings.
-
So anyway, good luck to that and good luck to her.
I figured I'd see her around again. She took her
double-espresso (I watched) and fled, out, out
into her vast and very musical day.

No comments: