Sunday, July 25, 2010

1004. A TRUE FEAST OF DURANGO

A TRUE FEAST OF DURANGO
I would have to swear - in a court of law,
I guess - that, yes, I watched the two murderers
as they jumped to the other rooftop. Those
wooden-front buildings here in town, they
each have that false height, that sort of
fake facade with nothing behind it, really,
but a flat roof; easy as it is to jump from
one to the other. Those two men right there,
I saw them do it, just after the shots rang out.
Their faces were covered with cloth - at least
their mouths and noses and chins. But I knew
who they were - Delgado there and Swainey too.
They killed those men and ran. The money and
the jewelry is in the wagon. They had accomplices
run off with that in the ensuing frenzy. Frenzy, hell,
pandemonium. Even the bar room emptied out,
and that doesn't happen here much.

No comments: