Sunday, April 25, 2010

860. SYMBOLISM

SYMBOLISM
(the Pathetic Fallacy)
We are ruled by only what appears; the
pathetic fallacy is all. Unbelievers strain
at nothing, and no leash holds. The symbolism
of want and figure - to wit, the Lie.
-
Indictment as such is forced upon us :
the schoolmarm saying: 'thank one of us
if you can read.' The home-schooled kid
that can read at three? Now whose thanks
should that kid be? Of course, we know,
she's not meaning 'read', she's meaning
'more; and only for me.' Once more,
the Pathetic Fallacy.
-
It's not that you read, it's what.
Can you even spell 'graffiti' my
fellow? 'Noxious writing, mold-
encroaching, destroyer of the common
weal; electronic momentary seconds of
half-distracted imagery...' There, I've defined
all that and just for you. Well, well, I don't
know. These burial mounds anyway
are all just noxious heaps.
-
Ah, but you seem to listen so well,
blond one, my morning dose of love
and honey. Such well befits the attitude
you display to my eyes. 'I am friend to
everyone, and with me stay; we shall
let our footsteps wander together.'
-
We are ruled only by what appears.
The Pathetic Fallacy, yes, is all.
('Wipe your hand across your mouth
and laugh; the worlds revolve like
ancient women gathering fuel in
vacant lots').
-
'The conscience of a blackened street
impatient to assume the world.'
This life, we must live, like a
flag unfurl'd. And I am once
more reading Wordsworth
with Eliot at four a.m. - like
tea with my coffee,
and then again.

No comments: