Sunday, April 11, 2010

840. TOLLER WAS APPALLED TO DEATH

TOLLER WAS APPALLED
TO DEATH

Dorothy Thompson, Lady Astor, H. G. Wells,
Ernst Toller. Oh dear, I could go on.
A stupid, useless list of old names and
the people attached to each. Ernst Toller
hanged himself, in 1939 at the Mayflower Hotel.
His fate was to love the world and Mankind and
most unhappily...with incredulous eyes. What
they saw appalled him. He was appalled to death.
-
Yes, and then so am I. No whitewashed
fences will fool me here. I sit in Lady Wilson's
garden, watching curtains of flowers grow, and
I wonder why and what they are. I should be
so moved. Liquid crystal cellulose held firm
in the shape of leaf or bloom - but not too
firm, as I can crush them with my fingers, see.
As Life can crush me. As the Sunlight is hot.
As the burden is oppressive. As my eyes can see.
I am appalled to death. I am appalled to death.

No comments: