Friday, April 23, 2010

857. WILLIAMSBURG

WILLIAMSBURG
This distressing animal alone does
its cart-bends beneath the evening stage.
One hundred and fifty people entered.
One fifty stayed. The intermission
never matters; it brings on other things.
-
I have no energy anymore, Alice.
When I stayed with the Jews in
Williamsburg, they tried to convince
me I had no future. They rendered
me thus obsolete, feeding me Psalm 88
with their fingers : 'I am a helpless man
abandoned among the dead, like bodies
in the grave, of whom you are mindful
no more.' Somehow this made them
satisfied. I, however, soon grew tired
of these Israelites (within this quaint
religious honeymoon I did my best -
neither soiling their daughters,
nor adding to their mess).
-
Outside this Quakerbox arrival
every new intention was written
on the wall : 'Come one to this
Gehennah, to Gan Eden come all.'

No comments: