Sunday, March 7, 2010

772. OUTSIDE BELGRAVIA

OUTSIDE BELGRAVIA
There was nothing else to do -
fifteen geese plodding around, with
their incessant cackle and that stupid
wiggle. I watched them for five minutes.
A policeman came over and asked 'why?'
I shrugged my shoulders and said,
in my worst ghetto English,
'why not, man?'
-
I wasn't trying to be philosophical,
but this scholarly guy came over
and said he'd overheard me and didn't
wish to be ponderous but 'I firmly
believe that was the same 'thought'
- if, of course, we would call it that -
that 'God' must have had in
considering Creation.
'Why not Man?''
-
I said that wasn't what I'd meant
and that there was a comma in
what I said. But, making no sense,
neither of us understood each other
clearly. Then, I noticed, WE shrugged
together and said, 'so what? It
really makes no difference.'

No comments: