Thursday, February 26, 2009

245. RECOLLECTION

RECOLLECTION
There are new Gods on the mantelpiece tonight:
old guys smoking pipes, a drum majorette
sulking about some romance, and a few retired
policemen, talking about the days of yore.
Everyone's looking back. Leather chairs and
pedestal ashtrays are everywhere. Some couch-
filled university club, or some gunman's private perch.
Community lodging for the dead-of-mind.
-
I take down a picture from the wall -
something resembling an old farm field fenced
in and filled with some sheep. It's so real
I can sense it and smell it - the braying, the
cattle, the bleating, the odors. Idle old farm
country - the type we never have anymore.
British fens, a green upland oasis, something
even farther off; a Lake Country banner.
I'm certain even William Wordsworth has been
here once : 'the things which I have seen,
I now can see no more.'

No comments: