Wednesday, February 18, 2009

231. THE SEQUESTERED SCRIBE AND HIS WEALTH

THE SEQUESTERED SCRIBE
AND HIS WEALTH
(a fantasy)
Having renovated both the cottage and the castle,
most things now are quite different. We still ring
the salubrious bells - announcing meals and the like -
but (I've noticed) the tenor of the sound is now
different. Those foreign tongues I hear, still spoken
as they are, are not quite now as jarring to my ears.
I notice Mexican cooks and housekeepers, and the
entire groundskeeper staff, it would appear, are Hondurans
or something. Everything is different, and so much has
changed. It takes time to get comfortable with all this.
-
In a way, I guess it had to be. For instance, I wasn't the
one (was I?) who was about to get up from the library chairs
and book-cases in my study and go fetch or go do these
things. No, my days were spent in a solitary toil, much - much -
to my liking and not about to change. Things could have
fallen apart around me, for all I would have cared. I am a scribe;
all that, and nothing more. So I look at it as good that someone
steps in to willingly do these chores.
-
Tincture of iodine, some balmy scent of a floral mist, the odor
of pine, the wafting aromas of (maybe) cinnamon and cloves.
Odors I really can't place - they've done that too. Smells and
bouquets, medicines and sprays - things I'd never had dreamed
of on my own. It's a rather lovely place, this domicile, this cave,
this 'hostelry' for me and kindred spirits. I wouldn't change it
if I could. I couldn't change it if I would. Either way, I'm happy now.

No comments: